Note: Your tastebuds may be in shock at first by this fresh tasting soup. It was a refreshing change from the extra salty soup flavor your body is used to!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast, precooked & shredded (4reds)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (free)
- 1 onion, diced (green)
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced (green)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (green)
- 1 cup uncooked whole grain orzo (2 yellows)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups organic low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Add 1 tablespoon oil to the stockpot. Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in thyme until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Whisk in chicken stock, bay leaves, bring to a boil. Stir in orzo, rosemary and chicken; reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in lemon juice; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Makes 4 servings. 1 serving = 1 red, ½ yellow, 1 green